Sept 1914 Wim WSPU opened soup kitchen to supply “food to the necessitous at the lwest possible price.” Intially at 9 Victoria Cres ( ex WSPU shop ) Served 2 meals per day top needy registered with Wim Guild of Help. 2nd kitchen from Nov 1914 at 119 Merton High St. In first 7 months staff at two premises served 35,000 hot meals each costing a halfpenny.
National / Communal Kitchens – 1917 aided by Mrs. Purves and Lady Holland. Ltd Co with subs - £250 raised and equipt purch, plus stores and premises – aided by War Savings Comm. ( Holland, Purves and Roney ) - Lady Roney stored bulk goods in own home till premises found. 12 June – 27 Merton Rd = kitchen. Simple but cosy and paid own expenses. Feb 1918 further outlets in Cottenham Park and Haydons Rd. On anniversary of opening Merton branch 1367 meals served there alone. Late 1918 Mrs Roney approached by cncl re kitchen takeover and opening 2 others – “Welcome” on High St and one in Arthur Rd.