Many Drill halls were built during the Victorian period to accommodate local Rifle Volunteer Corps, funded by public subscription or local benefactors.
By the outbreak of war in 1914, many such buildings were used by local Territorial Forces funded through County Territorial Associations.
A typical Drill Hall provided offices and indoor training facilities, an armoury, indoor rifle range and accommodation for an instructor or caretaker.
Local Drill Halls included:
- 17a, St. George’s Road, Wimbledon
- Mitcham Lane
- Coomb Villa, 105 Merton Road