Private Albert George Everest

Date of Birth c. 1896
Age at Death 22
Date of Death 25 April 1918
Service Number 23709
Military Service 12th Battalion Royal Scots Regiment
Merton Address 85 Sydney Road, Raynes Park
Local Memorial St. Saviour’s Church, Raynes Park

Additional Information

Born in the Cobham area c. June 1896, Albert was the son of Journeyman brick maker Cecil Everest and his wife, Elizabeth. The couple also had five other children – Emily, Cecil, Alfred, Fanny and Henry.

In 1901 the family was living at Randall’s Farm, Cobham. However by 1911, they had moved to a five room property at 85 Sydney Road, Raynes Park. Albert and several of his siblings were now of working age. His sister, Emily, had left home; Cecil jnr was working as a Trolleyman (presumably some sort of haulage worker ) for a coal merchant and Alfred was working as a Wireman for the GPO telephone company. Albert, now aged 15, was an errand boy for a greengrocer. The younger children were still of school age.

When war broke out, Albert was working for a local baker as a roundsman (or delivery worker).

On 13 May 1915, he enlisted at Wimbledon, becoming a Private in the Royal Artillery. He was described at the time as being 5 feet, 6 inches tall, weighing 124 1lbs, with a 34.5 inch chest, a fresh complexion, grey eyes and brown hair.

Albert joined the 12th Battalion, Royal Scots Guards and his unit was sent to France in 1915. A year later he was wounded in action and was hospitalised between 20 May 1916 and 14 July, 1916, having been shot in the left lower leg. A surviving letter shows that on 27 July he was admitted to Wimbledon Cottage Hospital, Thurston Road, whilst on furlough suffering from a problem with his right leg and knee. An X-ray showed a small portion of shrapnel embedded in the head of his tibia.

Albert was pronounced fit for light duties on 23 August 1916 following 2 weeks of bed rest. However he was hospitalised again between 26 October and 9 November 1917, having been exposed to poison gas during an enemy attack. He died in the Spring of 1918, aged just 22. He is commemorated on the Tyne Cot memorial in West Flanders and his name also appears on a memorial at St. Saviour’s Church, Raynes Park.


* Required field