Private Walter Rooke

Date of Birth 05/05/1894
Age at Death 23
Date of Death 15 April 1918
Service Number 102644
Military Service Sherwood Foresters (Nott & Derby Regiment)
Merton Address 55, Prince George Avenue, Raynes Park
Local Memorial St. Saviour’s Church, Raynes Park

Additional Information

Walter Rooke was born in Basingstoke in 1867 was employed as a footman in Hanover square in London according to the 1881 Census. Walter married Edith Bailey on September the 19th at the parish Church in Middlesex. At the time of his marriage, he was employed as a porter.

Walter Carrington Rooke was the only surviving child of Walter and Edith Rooke. He was born on the 5th May 1894 in Wandsworth and baptized at St Faith’s Church on 1st July 1894. The baptism certificate reveals that the family resided at 23 Bramford Road in Wandsworth.

By 1900 Walter was attending Telferscot Road School in Lambeth. The 1901 Census states that the family still resided at 30 Emu Road in Wandsworth, with their 32 year old boarder. Walter was now employed as a ticket collector.

The 1911 Census reveals that the Rooke family were now living at 55 Prince George Avenue in Raynes Park. Sixteen year old Walter Carrington had begun employment as a clerk to a florist.

Walter enlisted as a private at Chelsea in the Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) and was killed in action on the 15th April 1918. His service record is not available through Ancestry.

The PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL commemorates more than 11,000 servicemen of the United Kingdom and South African forces who died in this sector during the First World War and have no known grave. The memorial serves the area from the line Caestre-Dranoutre-Warneton to the north, to Haverskerque-Estaires-Fournes to the south, including the towns of Hazebrouck, Merville, Bailleul and Armentieres, the Forest of Nieppe, and Ploegsteert Wood. The original intention had been to erect the memorial in Lille. Most of those commemorated by the memorial did not die in major offensives, such as those which took place around Ypres to the north, or Loos to the south. Most were killed in the course of the day-to-day trench warfare which characterized this part of the line, or in small scale set engagements, usually carried out in support of the major attacks taking place elsewhere. It does not include the names of officers and men of Canadian or Indian regiments (they are found on the Memorials at Ypres, Vimy and Neuve-Chapelle) and those lost at the Battle of Aubers Ridge, 9 May 1915, who were involved in the Southern Pincer (the 1st, 2nd, Meerut and 47th Divisions - they are commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial). BERKS CEMETERY EXTENSION, in which the memorial stands, was begun in June 1916 and used continuously until September 1917. At the Armistice, the extension comprised Plot I only, but Plots II and III were added in 1930 when graves were brought in from Rosenberg Chateau Military Cemetery and Extension, about 1 Km to the north-west, when it was established that these sites could not be acquired in perpetuity. Rosenberg Chateau Military Cemetery was used by fighting units from November 1914 to August 1916. The extension was begun in May 1916 and used until March 1918. Together, the Rosenberg Chateau cemetery and extension were sometimes referred to as 'Red Lodge'. Berks Cemetery Extension now contains 876 First World War burials. HYDE PARK CORNER (ROYAL BERKS) CEMETERY is separated from Berks Cemetery Extension by a road. It was begun in April 1915 by the 1st/4th Royal Berkshire Regiment and was used at intervals until November 1917. Hyde Park Corner was a road junction to the north of Ploegsteert Wood. Hill 63 was to the north-west and nearby were the 'Catacombs', deep shelters capable of holding two battalions, which were used from November 1916 onwards.
The cemetery contains 83 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and four German war graves.

Comments

* Required field