The Grange, Morden
Situated in Central Road, Morden, The Grange is a two-storey villa built c.1800. Known originally as Steel Hawes, it was originally part of the Garth family estate. Lords of the manor of Morden from 1554 to 1872, the Garths eventually sold their property to the Hatfeild family, who had amassed a fortune from snuff manufacture.
During the First World War, the Grange belonged to Gilliat Edward Hatfeild, the last squire of Morden. He offered the property to the War Office for use as an auxiliary convalescent hospital. In 1915 it was converted to a 34 bed medical facility under the management of Matron Lewin.
Patients at the hospital benefited from peaceful surroundings, a special invalid diet and plenty of fresh air. The gardens and verandas to the rear of the property were often crowded with day beds, so that patients could be exposed to sunlight. They are likely to have been cared for by a mixture of regular and Volunteer Aid Detachment nurses.
The military hospital closed in 1918 and the building became a nursing home. This was operational until 1964. For many of the subsequent years the house was derelict and subject to vandalism. It was then refurbished to house the offices of furniture retailer, Courts PLC. Since c.2003 it has been the headquarters of Merton Priory Homes and Circle Housing.