Papier Mache Splint Depot
In 1916 a group of Wimbledon ladies, working in conjunction with Queen Mary's Needlework Guild, established a work depot at Ridge House, 38 Arterberry Road. The property had been volunteered by its owner, Mrs. Tweedie, to house a registered charity supplying surgical equipment.
The Papier Mache Splint Depot remained in use until March 1919 and proved extremely successful. It provided high quality surgical appliances, including over 500 pairs of surgical boots, splints and artificial limbs for the growing number of amputees resulting from the war.
When the depot finally closed, its remaining stock was sent to charities and services for the disabled, including St. Dunstan's which supported blind veterans and the Star and Garter Homes for Disabled ex-servicemen.